Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Blame it on the yogh

So I listen to obscure songs on my iPod rather than political debate on Radio 4 - does that make me such a bad person?... Well, okay, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm sure I can't be the only person for whom the most important question about the whole Liberal Democrat leadership contest is Why is Menzies pronounced Mingis?

Obviously not, because the BBC has been kind enough to explain the answer, and to do so with beautiful depth and clarity for any student of the English Language. It's all to do with sounds that exist in Scots (and did exist in Old English), and the way that the orthographical representation of these have changed over time. Swoons with joy...

Check it out. And if the BBC would like to answer my next questions, it's this: given the growing popularity of the word 'minger' has he ever thought of changing his name by deed poll?...

Why is Menzies pronounced Mingis?

5 Comments:

At 9:26 am, Blogger Nicholas said...

Now, if only the BBC newsreaders would only follow the guidance...

Nick

 
At 4:02 pm, Blogger Chorna said...

Not related, but today I heard a newsreader mispronounce "assess" as "access".

Thought it was rather funny, really. Or am I just mean?

 
At 10:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...


We have to invest in the future generation parents should stop trusting suspicious writers and meet honest professionals to help with their children's education.

 
At 7:09 am, Blogger Unknown said...

This is very much a work in progress whenever I find out about iessaywriter.com one who is more beautiful than any of these I will add her and kick out number ten Thanks for sharing the informative post.

 
At 10:43 am, Anonymous best pest control services said...

Great blog I was finding some informative blogs to read and I find the best informative blogs here on this website. I always wanted to know history like what happened in the past and why the world war started? so I find every blog which I needed. So thanks for sharing these amazing blogs with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home