Monday, June 14, 2004

And getting dafter?...

At this time of year, the thoughts of many a beach-bound AS Level English Language student will turn to the future.

"I can't spend the rest of my life doing this", they say, reaching with one hand for the suntan cream, turning a sausage on the barbie with the other.

"I must get back to studying; I must think about my glittering future career. But oh, what shall I do?"

Well, here's my top careers tip of the week: have you thought about copywriting? That's a particular kind of work in the field of advertising that you can read all about on the link below, but in case you are in any doubt whatsoever as to why people with good writing skills are needed, you must read this week's main post "The World's Craziest Advice".

This choice item comes from The Mirror, obviously a bit short of other news. It gives all kinds of examples, from product packaging, signs and other kinds of advertising material. Some of it is interesting for the insights it gives about the "interlanguage" that learners of English use. Lots of the examples given show interesting perspectives on the pragmatic assumptions the writers make about their audiences (mostly that we are all stupid beyond belief!!...).

Check out the links then come back and vote for your favourite - and let me know any others you have spotted, and where.

The World's Craziest Advice

Copywriting as a career

Interlanguage


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home